REALITY project aims to promote the use of EGNOS for drone operations in the short term and in the context of the European drone operations vision, including U-Space. For this purpose, REALITY will map non-recreational drone application-specific requirements into navigation performance and safety requirements –e.g., into accuracy, availability, continuity and integrity– and analyse to what extent EGNOS-based solutions could meet them.
- A drone navigation data acquisition and real-time performance monitoring system, hardware/software, to support the analysis of EGNOS-based navigation.
- A post-processing navigation performance analysis system to assess the error of the EGNOS-based solution supported by the reference system, computing also integrity and other risk-related figures like the impact of non-detectable errors, instrument errors and EGNSS errors.
- A cloud-based automated post-mission performance monitoring tool to enable massive in-flight data management and performance assessment in a user-friendly manner,
- Ready-to-use EGNOS-based instrument flight procedures and corresponding RNPs for four relevant, representative drone applications and operations.
- Standard and reference data and demonstrations collected in more than one hundred flights. These data will be post-processed to provide evidence to the EU regulatory and industry stakeholders of the added value of EGNOS and GNSS in drone navigation.
To capture a wide spectrum of representative application requirements, the project selected 4 scenarios: (SC1) aerial mapping (including urban areas), (SC2) firefighting, (SC3) freight transport and (SC4) maritime surveillance. Application-specific requirements will be analysed and flight rehearsals will be carried out in REALITY as a benchmark for EGNOS.
The two possible output of REALITY will be:
- a new Required Navigation Performance (RNP) specifications for UA flight missions tailored on these four representative drone applications.
- the analysis of the contribution of EGNOS and EGNSS to RNP-compliant drone navigation systems.
EuroUSC Italia will provide a key contribution to the project, given its large experience in the assessment of regulatory compliance for UAS operations and its knowledge of rules, procedures and technical standards. Expertise will be provided in the identification of regulatory challenges deriving from the implementation of EGNOS in UAS operations, performing a screening of the current status of RPAS and PBN regulatory relevant aspects, with special focus on active tasks inside the ICAO RPAS Panel, JARUS and EASA. On-going standardisation activities related to GNSS applications for UAS will be monitored, including ISO TC/20 SC/16 and Eurocae WG105.
- GeoNumerics S.L.
- FADA CATEC
- CATUAV S.L.
- EuroUSC Italia S.r.l.
- DEIMOS Engenharia S.A.
- Pildo Consulting S.L.